Austin Title: Mortgage & Real Estate Taxation : 3 Hours of CE Credit Webinar with Matthew Posey
When: Thursday, April 21st, 2022
Time: 10:00am – 1:00pm
Instructor: Matthew Posey
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Overview & Learning Objectives:
In this course, we’ll discuss real life examples of how you can help your clients evaluate their real estate options in a way that’s fully compliant with federal tax laws and regulations. Here are three stats that point to the importance of why a real estate agent should be familiar with tax concepts:
- According to the National Association of Realtors, cash buyers currently represent approx. 30% of all home purchases. Yet, many of these buyers are unaware of the tax consequences of doing so.
- On the other end of the spectrum, 27% of first-time homebuyers use gift funds to help with their down payment. Further, the New York Federal Reserve Board recently concluded in a study that a homebuyer’s down payment strategy can improve housing affordability by a whopping 40%.
- According to the National Association of Realtors, investors currently represent approx. 20% of all homebuyers. Many of these investors wonder about the benefits of converting their investment or vacation homes into primary homes, and vice versa.
• How the mortgage interest deduction works on primary homes and vacation homes, and how this impacts the client’s mortgage and real estate strategy
• How to make better use of the primary residence exclusion to the capital gains tax
• How the 3.8% investment tax works, who needs to pay it and when it needs to be paid
• How the capital gains tax works when people convert their primary home into a rental property and vice versa
• How rental income, depreciation, capital gains, and capital losses are taxed on investment properties
• How the gift tax works, who needs to pay it and when it needs to be paid
• How to make better use of the annual and lifetime exclusions to the gift tax when clients use gift money for a down payment
• How to avoid paying gift taxes on a private loan between family members
• How tax basis works and why it matters
Course provided by CMPS Institute / License #10155 / TREC #36294